Stay Prepared for Heavy Rains (as of 7/30/2020)
- In Japan, the rainy season lasts from June to July, and the typhoon season lasts from August through to October, bringing torrential rains and gale force winds. During these seasons, there is a risk of rivers flooding and landslides occurring on hills, mountains, and cliff sides.
- Make a habit of regularly checking the weather forecast (on TV, radio, internet, etc).
- If you live near a hill, mountain, cliff, or river and you feel unsafe, evacuate somewhere safe as early as possible, such as to the home of a friend or relative.
- Make sure you know where your closest evacuation shelter is.
❖ Useful Links
Multilingual Information on Disaster Mitigation (Japan Meteorological Agency)
Hiroshima City Disaster Prevention Portal
Disaster Preparedness (English)
- What are Disasters?
- International Residents Medical & Emergency Card
- Staying Prepared for Heavy Rains and Typhoons
Ministry of Justice: Information about torrential rain (English)
❖ Interpreting Support
If you are not confident in your Japanese abilities and are in need of an interpreter, please inquire at the consultation desks listed below:
Hiroshima City Consultation Service for International Residents
Hours: Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm (excluding national holidays and 8/6）
Languages: Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese, Vietnamese, English
Hiroshima Multilingual living Support for Foreigners
Tel: 0120－783－806 (toll-free）
Hours: Monday to Friday, from 8:30 am to 7:00 pm (excluding national holidays)
Saturdays, from 9:30 am to 6:00 pm
Note: Lines will be closed from 12:00 noon – 1:00 pm
Languages: English, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Tagalog, Portuguese, Indonesian, Thai, Spanish, Nepalese
❖ Electric power and gas services
If you have a power outage, contact your Chugoku Electric Power Service Office
Hiroshima Service Office Tel: 0120-748-510
Area: Naka Ward, Higashi Ward, Minami Ward, Nishi Ward (except Shinjyo-cho) and Minaga (Saeki Ward)
Yano Service Office Tel: 0120-525-089
Area: Aki Ward (except Terayashiki)
Hiroshima-kita Office Tel: 0120-516-850
Area: Asaminami Ward, Asakita Ward, Shinjyo-cho (Nishi Ward), Nukushina and Fukuda (Higashi Ward), Shimo (Yuki-cho, Saeki Ward)
Hatsukaichi Service Office Tel: 0120-517-370
Area: Saeki Ward
If your gas appliance is faulty/broken, contact Hiroshima Gas
Languages: English, Chinese Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Vietnamese and Thai through external interpreting services and mobile devices.
・If your gas is not provided by Hiroshima Gas, please contact your provider directly.
・For propane gas, contact a propane supplier in your area. Ask your landlord for more information about local propane suppliers.